Tristan Walker is in his early thirties but he’s already considered a powerhouse. He first gained recognition as the head of Business Development at Foursquare. Since then, he’s worked with the venture firm Andreessen Horowitz, establishing his own company: Walker & Company.
Walker and Company create health and beauty products for people of color.
Company: Walker & Company Brands
- Smarter. Faster. More colorful: 2014 People of the Year (USA Today)
- Creativity 50 2014: The Most Creative People of the Year (Advertising Age)
- 40 Under 40 (Fortune Magazine)
- Black Enterprise “40 Next” (Black Enterprise)
- 40 Under 40 (Advertising Age) 2016
Not only is Tristan Walker a successful entrepreneur in the tech industry, but he’s also actively working to bring more POC to the field through his non-profits, conferences, and his POC-focused hair and beauty company.
Morgan DeBaun is the co-founder and current CEO of Blavity, which is a website focused on POC. The website leverages robust, writer generated content and subjects that focuses on advice, political discussions, protests, and more. Not to mention the Instagram account (@Blavity) is an amazing place for the latest on culture and commentary.
- Forbes 30 Under 30 – Young people transforming the future of media
- The Root 100 – 100 most influential African Americans
- MVMT50 – Top 10 Innovators of the Year
Morgan has a large impact on culture and is poised to become one of the most influential people in the community. In 2016, she launched EmpowerHer, a Blavity conference focused on women of color. Her company also launched AfroTech in Silicon Valley for African American professionals and entrepreneurs.
Zim is the founder of Travel Noire, a boutique travel company catering specifically to young, black millennials. She was born to Nigerian immigrant parents and has since then traveled to countless exotic locations in the world living a nomad lifestyle and managing her business with a solid, remote team.
Company: Travel Noire
- 30 Under 30 Forbes in 2016
- 5 Black-owned Travel Groups You Should Know About – Huffington Post
Travel Noire has a large presence on social media and is at the forefront of the Black Travel Movement, which aims to make traveling safe and easy for black individuals.
Sidenote: Blavity recently PURCHASED Travel Noire! (talk about black excellence!)
Angelica Nwandu is the founder of The Shade Room, an entertainment news platform making waves on Instagram. The company initially focused on celebrity gossip, but has since then branched out to cover everything from politics to culture.
Company: The Shade Room
- Forbes 30 under 30 in 2016
- 18 Female Founders Who Killed It in 2015 by TechCrunch
- Declared Celebrity Culture Savant by Complex
Nwandu has considerable influence with over 12 million people following her on various social media platforms. Her content has the power to set trends, and encourage young entrepreneurs to reach for success via online platforms.
Jubril Agoro is an online marketing professional (specifically Facebook Ads) and a traveler with a large following. His latest project, Passport Heavy, is focused on finding new and unexplored destinations all over the world. He’s a Digital Nomad living the travel lifestyle while running a successful marketing business.
Company: Passport Heavy
Jubril encourages millennials to get out of the daily grind and explore other opportunities. He’s also one of the influencers ready to promote the black travel movement and encourage others to explore the world through his YouTube channel.
Taylor Rooks is a sportscaster and journalist who has covered countless major sporting events with tenacity and attention to detail. She was previously a host and reporter for the Big Ten Network but has since then branched out to other opportunities.
Company: TimeOut with Taylor Rooks’ podcast
- Acquired national attention for her knowledge of sports, especially recruiting.
- She has a big presence in most major sporting events like the Big Ten Football Championship.
- She has been instrumental in encouraging interest in broadcasting among young women.
Marques Brownlee is an immensely popular tech YouTuber and is considered one of the best in the industry. He has over 5 million subscribers on his YouTube channel.
Company: MKBHD YouTube Channel
- Most Subscribed tech-based channel on YouTube.
MKBHD is very young and started his YouTube channel when he was still in school. He’s one of the few black tech influencers in the industry and is considered the best, which can be a big influence on other black millennials and youth.
Marques has mingled with several heavy-weights in the industry and that includes top-level executives at Google, Motorola, Apple, and has been featured in several magazines.